How To Go Back To School As A New Mom
It’s true what they say: it is NEVER too late to return to school as a new mom. Between feedings, changings and excitement over your little one, being a mom going back to school may be the last thing in your mind. But whether you’re in the middle of pursuing your degree or you want to take the time to elevate your new family’s future. Getting started is the first step.
Focus On What Matters Most
Becoming a mom has a powerful effect on your mindset. You want to do everything you can to improve your life and your child’s, and going back to school is a great way to do that! It will be more important now than ever to allow yourself to take a break by allowing others to help in caring for your new baby.
To get started on the right foot, be sure to:
- Outline Your Goals: Keep them realistic, attainable and pertinent to your future career. Articulate your goals to friends and family who support you. Find a study partner who is on a similar track.
- Evaluate Your Lifestyle: Choose the college environment that’s best for you and suits your learning needs and style.
- Find Help: Locate an advisor to help you devise your course of study and to keep you on track.
Create A New School-Friendly Lifestyle
Once you’ve decided exactly how you want to go back to school as a new mom, experiment and discover a new way of life that allows all your needs to be met.
Set yourself up for back-to-school success by:
- Choosing course times and styles that are convenient for you
- Build a support system by enlisting your partner, an older child, trusted friend, or a babysitter to watch and care for your newborn while you study
- Create a reasonable timeline for completing school (3 years, 4 years, any breaks) and share with your loved ones! Not only can they better understand why and how things are changing around the house, they can serve as your accountability partners.
- Remember to make yourself a priority in the household as well. Schedule time away from everything to do an activity you love, care for your body by going to the gym, or relaxing in any way you like.
When you’re going through a big life change, finding a community of like-minded women who share your challenges is crucial! Sharing your jouenry as a new mother going back to school and knowing there are others going through a similar challenge can keep us on track and hold us accountable to completing what we set out to do.
The Back to School Divas Facebook group is a great place to explore! There are hundreds of women like you sharing inspiration, challenges, and friendship there.